Friday, September 16, 2005

Sarcastic smiles and sweet hellos

Is this reality?

I guess so.

Was listening to an interview the other night. The DJ of this popular radio station asks an artist about the content of his album. The artist replies: "it's about phases of my life."

I take a breathe and sigh. Are albums all about their lives, or phases of their lives? Can't they think of a new theme, something more appealing, something not about them?

C2 is a great drink. It has both the catchy packaging and the smooth delicious flavor factors that make people want to drink it. Regardless of what chemicals are put in there with the natural tea, I go and buy it. Regardless of what they say about it being one of some products dumped by Europeans here after finding out its content, I take barrels of it a month (except the green tea flavor). I love C2. Just as I love Coke more than Pepsi.

Just the same feeling with KFC. They pass around the Internet, disturbing shots of featherless chickens fattened to be slaughtered. According to the forwarders, these chickens were genetically enchanced to meet the right weight, the right size for the kill. Heck, I just tell myself that these things are untrue. And if they were, these cases are not true for the Philippines. So, I eat KFC chicken strips to my delight. I mean, we're all gonna die someday aren't we? I am gonna enjoy my KFC...hmp.

After all the activities scheduled by Buklod CSSP, all the things I hear on radio and television, I still am not sure of what to stand for on this GMA ouster issue. Not only is an alternative hanging out there in limbo, people don't mass out the way they used to---they want to live on and make things happen.

Contrary to what some activists say, I don't think this translates to people nowadays being so apathetic and less active in politics. It depends. What context? Forms of activism change. If activism is mob rallying in the streets, then I guess people are less involved. But it is not. Service to communities is activism---and sometimes, it has more sense and at times looks like the HIGHEST form of activism. I mean, that's oblation for you.

Criticizing the government is a way of helping it. Helping it in its better aspirations is helping it as well. Again I say, let us search for the truth. But the status quo is holding sway. The opposition better be aware, the other forces have launched counter-attacks and now we have Michael Ray Aquino and grand daddy USA.

My point? If society fails, government fails. Who has the right to throw the first stone?

Who is the rightful heir to the throne?

There's this weird but really sweet old lady at the Filipinana photocopying center (main lib). While I was having a book on Philippine military-civilian relations 1946-76 written no less than Ma'am Carolina Hernandez for my 171 paper on the same subject area, we shared moments or two talking about UP life. She was a former UPD student- BA English. She did not finish, pregnancy and early marriage. So she ended up as a typist, then a photocopying institution. She types thesis papers as a sideline. Makes sense, she took up typing. I felt at home speaking with this lady. There was this comfort. It was as if my lola in the States went back to have tea with me. There was this comfort. Eventually I found out that her sons and daughters are finished with their studies and two of them are in the USA, making life a whole lot easier for her.

Wow. I was thinking, and it came to me that she was working basically to keep herself busy.

How I wish.

What is an accomplished life?

I admire this lady for her opinion on things. She has a straightforward approach often heard from old ladies....lolas.

But no. My life is complicated. I made it that way. A life of sarcastic smiles and sweet hellos. I hate the drama. But I am enthralled to it. I feed off this drama more than my papers, more than my accomplishments, more than these dreams people say the have but have not.

I reiterrate my desire to live a full life. I have people to make it so. I have...argh, enough crap.

Grai, I swear I heard you over the radio - 99.5 RT. If it was not you, then I do not know how many Graces in the world lives in QC, knows Charm among many, loves Ateneo specially the Rocket JC Intal, and HAS that sleepy seducing voice of sophistication.

Argh, the cool weather is getting to me. Marikina River overflowed. I like it. I like to see rivers at their fullest, see their deadly powerful waves. A single drop of rain can aid a tidal wave somewhere else.

For now, that is life in a nutshell.

For now, I put it at that.

Regardless. God be your strength and the meaning to your nutshells.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home