Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Katipunan fly-overs

Nowadays, when I go to UP, having to take a ride via Katipunan jeepneys, I never forget to look up and examine the fly-over above me...

I always have this fear that the Katipunan fly-over (near Ateneo) will one day fall and collapse with me near it...

after the fire last year that weakened its foundations and supporting steel frame of the said structure...I think that some things are becoming certain.

Katipunan Avenue will forever hold a place in my heart. I have a sense of comfort and a feeling of ease whenever I pass by that road. Regardless of whether I'm commuting or inside a private vehicle, the whole experience remains the same. There is some form of peace. There is some form of excitement (remember the term we call "cramming"? hehe) to be had too.

Maybe because it is wide and spacious...perhaps because of the modern backdrop...or the institutions that surround it...or maybe because I see UP students around...

Fascinating!

They have great restaurants and fastfood outlets there, by the way.

The Freshmen Circle (FC) 03 now Eo-07 plans on eating somewhere there...Rania's suggested resto. Only the date remains to be settled. I couldn't help but be overly anxious about it. For like three years of stay, approximately two years since the last FC activity, and here we are...separate paths...similar goals.

Sure most of FC people are right by my side most of the time in the Council Office. But the same is not true for those who shifted out of the college, those who stayed but maintained only minimum contact with the core, or our moderators who now are working ( I miss you ate Pau). I want to see all of them...badly.

Yesterday was a wierd jeepney experience. Going home from UP, I was the only one aside from the driver and a small child having a y-choromosome inside the jeepney. There were only three dudes out of eighteen passengers. The next ride was worse or more intriguing---two females in a crowd of twenty-one. WOW!

Wait...LSS!..I keep on hearing the theme song for Panday the series by Sugarfree. I like the song...the melody basically. I'm hearing it right now here in Netopia Sta. Lucia Grandmall. OH GOOOODDDD!!!

Speaking of God, I came from a follow-up engagement of sorts with Dan of Campus Crusade for Christ (CCC)---thanks again Grai for leading me there. I felt guilt after hearing the analogy Dan shared with me. Am I but a carnal Christian---someone who says he is a Christian but fails to act on it? At times I think I am. At times it becomes so hard to share Christ in words...all the more by example. I guess that's the point: If God means so much to us...then why feel any bit of hesitation to share His truth to others? There's this barrier I have to fix within and in those I love.

hehey...the CCC Tambayan is near Katipunan!(had to raise this up to be consistent with topic)

It takes courage and valor on our part.

Lastly, I leave you with a story. Tea masters of Japan are revered and respected. They are equal to the great samurai. This is for good reason. Aside from being so dedicated to the mastery of their craft, the tea masters share a proud history of being true to themselves in the face of adversity.

Once, a tea master came across a great samurai along the road. He accidentally bumped into the samurai, nudging his ever protected blade. Touching a samurai's sword is equal to spitting at his face. It is insult that could only be answered for by death. So the samurai challenged the tea master to a duel the next morning.

Determined to keep his honor, the tea master went to his friend the blademaster or maker of swords. He went there to get the finest blade worthy of a fine opponent and a fine carrier. His friend, worried that his friend would face certain death reminded the tea master of the circumstances. However, the tea master did not rethink and went on with his business---tea making.

The following morning, the samurai arrived earlier than set at the designated spot. The tea master soon followed. But before they could commence the fight, the tea master had one request. He requested that he perform the tea ceremony first before the battle. The samurai granted the request.

The tea master performed the art to perfection, with the samurai slowly becoming amazed. He did this without fear or remorse in his face. This act and the way the master did it astonished the samurai. Impressed by his adversary, the samurai yielded and in fact had this to say:

"People I fight look at me fearing for their lives and shaking. Others come to me to offer coins. Others do not come at all. But you, there is no touch of fear in your face, no regret in your mind. Can you teach me how you do this?"

The tea master nodded. The mighty samurai became his apprentice.

God has a purpose for you. He wants you to be where you are, doing what you do best. It is in fulfilling your promise where you find peace and true wealth...regardless the circumstance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home