Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Straightforward proposition of a crooked mind

Gay 1 said to gay 2: Ay alam mo kasama ko yung lola mo kahapon. Aba'y nagsiksikan ang mga pasaway sa tabi ko dun sa Wheel of Fortune. Aba aba aba, may black-eye ang lola mo. Nasapak kasi ang bakla kaya yan, leche kasi maharot at pasaway...charoz! Lam mo kapatid, nahipuan ko yung.... (the rest is not for my innocent readers)

I still can't believe I was sitting right beside these two gays on my SSS jeepney ride home. Fortunately, no Paolos were touched or harmed in this whole excersise of complete lesbian lingo jingo. I know a lot of lesbians with great personalities, certainly not these vulgar sluts.

Damn these sluts...damn vulgar sluts! Argh, hahahaha!!!...ahem.

Anyway.

For the faint of heart, better not watch what's going on with the Republic in your television sets. For those who think they can swallow this madness that is Philippine politics, go on...take the plunge...don't even bother to think if it is not in moderation.

Was listening to Randy David and Fr. Bernas over ANC last night. At least I was able to have a grasp from two people from opposite spectrums when it comes to faith and philosophy. Prof. David, a self-professed atheist, schooled as well connected with Fr. Bernas, the title says it all, also schooled. You see, if these people can meet in the end, why not the capitalist and communist? Why not the rich and the poor? Why not me and _______? Nevermind that.

Point is, there is hope, there is room for compromise, there is room left for praying, hoping, and wishing.

I was with Alyansa and Buklod CSSP in a candle-lighting ceremony last night at the Sunken Garden. Was I fulfilled hearing all those moving speeches, seeing familiar and then strange faces, smelling all that candle smoke that sure covered my nose and handkerchief with charcoal-like black?

Of course not. I stand by faith with works as a way of life though I know that is better said than done. What makes politics any different?

Was I content with all the soul-searching I did on whether I should keep mum and follow party policy or should I blog about this independently? I choose the latter. Besides, this is multi-perspectivism, pluralism, our ideals---so why not uphold my views in the open?

So should you.

I've always believed in a silent majority. What I refuse to believe is that this majority chooses to sit and pretend to be thinking. Please. I consider myself to be part of the silent majority...I hope I am though, part of the contemplating bracket. This bracket takes pride in being able to manouver history through history once it decided to speak and do something---French Revolution, EDSA 1 name it.

For indeed, it is the majority. We maybe the only ones left quiet though. We should not be like the crowd that watched Christ get nailed to the Cross like what was shown in that haunting movie starring Christina Ricci. They were the spectators, felt nothing but intrigue watching Christ suffer.

Damn us if we choose to watch suffering, poverty, ignorance.

Damn this university if we choose to be divided and blinded. We are this university, we are people of the university---the body, the ones who owe a ton to this great republic.

I just feel so spirited today about these matter of politics. So much so that I don't even care whether or not this blog will end up as a boring piece of directionless pointless craft or something more of a piece of art. I don't even want you to laugh. Most of my blogs were not really meant to make you laugh. Although some were intended to, I guess I just don't know how to make my humor work nowadays.

In the end, I have myself to thank and blame.

I just want to re-state what I so proudly stated couple of blogs before, in relation to what both men said. Want a cure?

Be the cure.

Want hope? Be that hope. Want to make the big picture function as you wish? Be the small catalyst for progress and change. Your smallest of small decisions conspire in some inspiring melody to create the song of your life---how is that supposed to sound?

My point? Don't treat high-level problems with high-level nonsense. The issue with this republic is that it has really doused fire not with water, but fire. How's that supposed to do any good?

So this whole mess is not merely confined to Malacanang, to leadership, to systems of governance. Oh no no no, don't think of it as such. In fact, questions on these matters are better left second.

Instead, answer the more mushy, cheesy, soft questions that lead to hard generalizations. Such questions like: Do we as a people have moral ascendancy to countryhood? We all discuss this in class, we just don't do much about it. Before we blabber about moral ascendancy to presidency, let us talk about our ascendancy as a people. Since anyway, we are the sovereign. Let us not make assertions without haste and thought. This is the pressing question, not of the day, but forever. And I repeat...forever as a concrete concept. Nations were turned to states in the eyes of scrupulous history because people chose to. They considered or may have considered by peace and war such questions as: What is our national vision? What are moral qualifications for the next leader? What social order must be in place? What value systems must the country subscribe to? What role do
the small people have in this revolution?

Our people thought these were better left in the steeple of a church, the pulpit, the altar. Well, now they know these matters define countryhood. It is the political, social, economic so whatever order and condition that help create real consensus. But these come from a matter of greater importance.

Ask this: What is the condition of our heart? Yes, the cheesiest yummiest of all them soft questions.

I do not wish to mislead the reader or avoid GMA's issue. I think she needs to look deep inside and act accordingly or else face the wrath of the disenfranchised. I think she still has conscience and that will take her to breaking down point. When that time comes, I think she'd step down. Voices around her would consider it wise to let her free will work instead of force. But her stepping down and letting the wheels of law prevail will cost us big time. Her staying there and the status quo ensuing would just be costly anyway.

And of course, those 40-50 thousand strong in Makati now are united in calling her to step down. United in that area, but all divided in answering the question: what next? There is no alternative worthy of command. There is no head figure. Which gives the status quo a rightful argument...that for survival.

Besides, the number 40-50 thousand out of 85 million doesn't really tell me a lot of their resolve, their unity, and even their motives. How evil of me.

Then the third option is for her to continue while a new government is installed. Yes, the FVR, JDV, so watchamacolit plan.

I have a problem with this. I think I'm not alone in saying that a government structure change to a parliament or to a federalist one does not address the underlining need for social reform and consensus. IT DOES NOT. The Americans tried that when they gave us the Commonwealth...we were not ready. Now perhaps we know our own men and so we might find it easier to apply. STILL, I DON'T THINK SO.

LEt's not get started with the anomalous Council of Elders-like Revolutionary Government. Who are they? What are they supposed to accomplish? Does this move unite or divide? Who has the power? Where's GMA going to be?

Sometimes it comes to me, why don't we just be governed by an authoritarian dude and his henchman?

I guess we love our freedoms so much. Do we deserve it? Are we ready?Oops!

Or if we're really this problematic, maybe we might try them all! Let's cha cha to national obliteration!

Long live the monarchy under Queen Regine Velasquez!!! Pweh. Hehehe! I'd be the baron of Cainta anytime. Perhaps the dutch of Rizal? ahem...

These are some options with some shallow insights from yours truly.

I intend to let you decide. I myself am amazed at the difficulty. You judge.

Uhm, that's why the irony of this blog is the title. Paradox indeed. How do you come up with a STRAIGHTFORWARD PROPOSITION?

Why? Because we do not have solidarity as a country of Filipinos with a Filipino heart. So much for Christendom claims of our bishops....we are all foul beasts not worthy of Christ or even salvation in the first place. Hey, no one in this cosmos is. So I say we make ourselves worthy of some respect.

Address the grassroots issue and give the majority the role in shaping their Philippines. I pray no civil war leads us to this. We're still a young country. Too late is not part of our vocabulary. We are resilient. We are dreamers. Then perhaps, on a clear view we can drive to some future when order shall reign...

and important matters are not left to us crooked minds of the faithful some people keep on trying to keep silent or inside a church.


To someone out there: Hey, hey hey, sweet baby. There's a way. Just stand up and fight it. There's a way for you to decide on it. Never give up. Everything will be alright now . Oh your love...

Don't make them take away your beautiful smile.

---now how did this line get in here???? damn hahahahahaaaaa! (then sighs)

this friday will be a complete disaster, not only do i have to reckon with the thought of a flunking or say a pasang-awa grade, i have to do a Mike Enriquez in 150 hahaha....kastigador!!! di namin kayo tatantanan...

leche ka pao...leche ka ahahahaha! hay ang lola mo!!! charoz!

shete. =)

Just a reminder. At least I broke some silence. God help the republic!





1 Comments:

Blogger hopelessly romantically rightist said...

oi paolo, nice one kya lng meho mhaba, i cant blame you though. this kind of material musnt go unpublished... haha remember that flattery is necessary in a friendship. would you want me to defend that??? ;p
anyway, try to visit mine, i know youre looking forward to it (even if only a little)
anyway hope you post comments.
haha its fun being a freshie again!kahit na sa blog lang...

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home