Saturday, June 11, 2005

First Week Blop

First Week Bop

Balik UP nanaman, oh yes waiting for this has been rather a daunting occupation for one so unassuming as me.

At dahil lahat ata ng lugar na puntahan ko at lahat ng taong Makita ko ay walang makanta kundi “Let’s Do the Funk…blah blah Funk…” etong blog na ito ay inaalay ko sa inyo.

Sa totoo lang, lagi ko naiisip yung “F” word kapag naririnig ko yung line na yan. Sorry lang talaga, basta Parokya kasi ang kumanta or any artist of the same style for that matter, nandyan ang bias ko na laging may second meaning ang mga lyrics.

To summarize my profs and subjects (thank God lahat sila pumasok at lahat ng classmates ko…well at least except yung mayabang tumingin sa PS 150 ay sobrang okay naman…or at least tolerable [ahem]), I’d like to quote early lessons in the form of their unique one-liners. Coincidentally, but I know not foolishly, the following lines also tell something about that professor’s attitude. First impressions last diba? Well, hanggang wala pa ang mga exams and papers…eto ang mga…

(drum roll)

QUOTABLE QUOTES FROM FIRST SEM PROFS
Brought to you by Axe, coz first impressions axe you…stupid.

Monday classes

“We won’t do lecture for today, rather we’ll have a getting-to—know activity.”
---- Mr. Arnisson Ortega; Geography 171

Note: Isa lang masasabi ko…ang bait nyo sir! Not to mention, dating ng fashion get-up nyo tindi….grabe…. salamat sa uno nung Geog 1! Salamat at adviser pala namin kayo sa partido!

Sir…do away with the necktie…unless you want to look like Pikachu or some Japanese anime hero from a teen flick. =)


“If you can’t defend the predicate… humbly say: I don’t know”
----- Dr. Carlos; Political Science 110

Note: Mam, please answer my inquiry over the net. Nagsisisi talaga ako na ako ang nag-volunteer kay Richard Rorty (and for whatever ang definition nya ng good life). Hindi pala article ang i-rereport ko kundi isang pilosopiya.

Hindi yun ang problem, I find it really hard for me to take on as a nominal (I don’t think highly of my spiritual life yet) Christian, a staunch ally of all pragmatism or atheism at the extrema. But actually, there poses the challenge. Actually, lalo ko minamahal ang Christianity sa bawat statement ni Rorty.

Mam, ang ganda nyo sa ANC News….galing nyo!!!... sipsip loko ka talaga Paolo!

BRING IT ON!!! 110!!! Eleven ka lang pag wala ang zero sa dulo mo!!!!! KUMAG!!! I love the prof…critical at objective…the subject matter I know should follow. Parang andali no?

Tuesday-Friday classes

“Economics deals with these two important concepts: SCARCITY and EFFICIENCY”
----Prof. Bautista Economics 100.2

Note: I said to myself: Eto na Pao hupao eto na ang Econ. Di ko maalis ang tingin ko sa mga classmates ko. Tropang 03 rocks talaga! Pero kelangan makinig. Jobs are scarce. I am not that efficient. Not a good combination indeed. Lamig nga pala ng classroom…oks sana!



“The United States is the leading democratic institution in the modern world.”
----Prof. Natalia Morales Political Science 171

Note: O say does that star-spangled banner shall wave. O’er the land of the free….and the home of the brave!

Maraming asar sa Estados Unidos. Marami talaga, minsan ako. I pray 171 teaches me the great foundations of this stunning achievement of democracy. I pray I find faith that the American beginnings will be able to bring these people back to their senses and restore their once shining glory.

Eto lang masasabi ko. I love the United States for her story. I love the story of her sacrifice, of her ideals, of her people. Make no mistake about it, I still want to be that trench coat-wearing diplomat for the Philippines to the US or the UN. I am not blinded by the romantic and idealistic American Dream…I adore though, the American vision that found it once and all Tocqueville wrote as to be true for some part.

Pero, wala akong balak iwanan ang Pnas in tatters. Pnas will need us til the end people…let us not fail her.

“Management is synonymous to administration….administration usually connotes government.”
-----Prof. ML Rebullida

Note: Naaalala ko si Mam Tadem kay Mam Rebullida….the method, the comparison, the reference,

AT LALO NA YUNG NAKAKSINDAK NA TINGIN….Umoo ka na lang or nod your head.

Actually dami ko natututunan. I dnt get it why some people are terrfied by Dr. Tadem, or Prof. Rebullida. Problema ko nga lang, pareho ang tingin ni Mam Rebullida sa akin…may portions na ang tagal kaya di ako makapikit.!!!cyomai…pero astig to!

Saturday classes

“What’s so special about special topics in political dynamics? We’ll be talking about issues….I want you to speak, to hear your voices, to enjoy this class.”
----Prof. Butch Jamon

Note: Pagpasok pa lang nya as in naka-smile na agad ako…kasi iba ang aura nya…parang naalala ko dating ni Sir Kraft na may kasamang Sir Naval.

Like Sir Naval, parehas silang may tendency mag-preach. Pareho ang built ng katawan nila ni Sir. Kraft at pati na si Sir Malaya Ronas (slamat Soc sci 2).

Pero sa akin, okay lang yun. I think profs should treat us as humans of dignity and their subject matters as instruments to educate and instill values (and inspire)…not fear, not arrogance.

Kaya Ganado kami nila Venus…this is going to be one hell of a discussion class…at limited ang readings to your report!!!!


Class in Life from the MOVIE: A Lot Like Love (Ashton Kutcher and Amanda Peet)

“What was strike one?...That you made the first move.”

One word to summarize this movie: CUTE

My findings: (naluluha ako sa inggit kakanood dito…mag-isa ako sa gitnang row sa Metro East…lamig ng aircon, alang nag tetext was wakas…kasi wla naman ako tinext hehe)

Alam nyo kung bakit hindi pa ako ready magmahal?
Sagot: I still like movies like these. I know by measure that life is not this easy, but I’d like to think of it as a movie. And because I am inspired by believing in the magic of these stories, I become so idealistic that I know I could love exceedingly, but God may not allow me yet.

Gets?

Masyado ako nalululong sa imaginary worlds of movies na hindi ko Makita ang reality. At dahil unlike those na sanay na sa relationships na maaring ma-bored sa kwento, ako nag-eenjoy sa kakyutan nya…as in every killer cheesy line ako napapa-awwwwwwwww.

Awwwwwwwww….

Thank God naiisip ko pa to. He wants me to wait and refocus on other matters like praying for my country.

And so I pray that the one is someone who thinks the same: that love would come to her…and so why bother with less pressing matters?

I pray she thinks this way. I pray she finds the good in delaying gratification for a time in the future when all things are set.

And no, with this mind-set, she will not run out of men. That right man will be coming, also unassuming but waiting on God.

For now, I pray she enjoys the innocence in movies, and the importance of waiting.

I pray I heed what Emily (Peet) said to Ashton Kutcher every time Ashton was about to ruin a conversation: “ Don’t blow it.”

Please…Paolo Don’t blow it. I know I can make a good impression like my profs…I know I can do the first week bop. But relationships are about the finish line…pagkatapos ng limampung taon: Naghoholding hands pa ba kayo? Nagsusubuan pa ba kayo ng cake?

I think I can’t answer that question right now. I think she’s not willing to answer that question anytime soon.

None of my impressions become real relationships. Hanggang friendship lang ba talaga? I know I shouldn’t be frustrated. I know I should be more than happy that life is going my way.

Pero gaya ng dati kay Ms. Grief. I know how to make a good impression, pero lagi ko na lang sinisira e pag magtetext na ako, or kapag rhetorical na ako, or kapag corny na ako…

Or kapag masyado na ako trusting or umaasa…nangangarap na ng long-term wala naman pala. My fault. My mistake. End of conversation.

Don’t blow it.

Yan ang mali sa akin e. I jump the gun and ask: Can you take this journey with me? Yan ang blowing up the conversation.

Wala pa nga ang kalsada e. Hindi pa handa ang daan. Ni hindi ka pa nya kilala na drayber ka ng kotse nya.

I feel that someone is already close to me, or I know her….baka kapitbahay ko…o taga-UP…I don’t want to arouse speculation again…

But I pray she isn’t thinking of me. Sana hindi. Coz I want her to enjoy life and fulfill her promise. Kung hindi kami nararapat…e di fine…inde…praise be to God.

I want her to be happy…we all do in our own hypocrisy. But this isn’t about lawyering or lying. There is no debate…no question.

I am not ready for love. Not ready to face other matters yet. I will let time be God’s instrument…marami pa naman dyan sa ligid-ligid e ahahaha! Joke…but I think I’m getting there with her.

IN the end, I quote Aristotle: Let history vindicate me!

Pray that history teaches us a nation, the hardest of lessons.

1 Comments:

Blogger malchus_ear said...

grabe ka paolo! 2 posts! i have a question. bakit laging nababanggit ang pag-ibig sa mga posts mo? wala lang.

i noticed that you mentioned lawyers. wala lang din.

thank you pala sa comment mo sa blog ko. and about you and chris lao...basta... see you in 171! karirin natin ang subject na yun ha? i love ma'am morales!

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home