Sunday, June 19, 2005

He's no caped crusader

A lot of people I asked a couple of weeks ago claimed that they considered Batman their ideal superhero. Of course, the apparent reason behind this was that Batman was easier to emulate. You just had to be rich, really torn apart, and trained in the deadly arts. To many, this is far more feasible than having web spitting out of your pulse, flaming your entire body by yourself, and being able to lift eighteen-wheeler trucks...no that's too much.

I like Batman, no forgive me...I love Batman for perhaps, reasons far deeper than mere child play or because I envy his toys and wealth.

But Paolo, we've heard that before! No, you haven't heard anything from me yet.

There are reasons as to why despite that Spider-man seems to rake in the bucks and earns the most number of "wow, he's cool!"s, I am more gripped by Batman, mediocre or big-budget in production.

As the aforementioned may already tell you, this is an admission that I had seen Batman Begins. Moreover, this is admission that I loved the movie...four stars hands down. I planned on seeing this alone, but behold I saw my parents in one of their "movie dates". I wanted to hide and let them enjoy their time, but chance came that my father saw me first. Imagine, the same movie house down to the cinema number...wow.

Bottomline, I saw it with them. They went ahead though...they had to buy dinner.

Batman is a metaphor for Paolo Sanchez I thought. This just might be my alter-ego.

1.) Batman is human, and stays human. Bruce Wayne represents humanity in its potential...to accumulate wealth, to be an ideal citizen, to love and then let go of the girl of your dreams, to fight the good fight in your own adventures, to dream of better days when justice and peace reign. Romantic isn't it? Point is, he is every bit of flesh and blood as you and me. He breathes life. He lives by a set of principles. He doesn't go through out-of-this world transformations.

Most importantly, he's imperfect. He has ways we may not agree with...tis all good!

2.) How Batman came to be a hero is believable and admirable. As any human being would, it is easy for one to say I'll take the shortcut. It's easy to cut on depth and weight to get a message across. It's easy to be bitten by a spider or be born with god-like strength. I mean, that's why kids love these superheroes. But kids would have to be more patient with Batman. His creator did not want him to take the easy road to greatness. In the movie he says: "...I can be a symbol...that is incorruptible..." To be a symbol or a legend, you have to work for it...bleed for it. His sacrifice to undergo the evolution from tormented child to public defender (and not he's not a mere vigilante) is indeed telling of how legends should be made. You go up the mountain, as you go through the hierarchy of your office. You train in the disciplines and arts, as you would study, exercise, establish relationships to become a better person. And, you find the right reasons to be yourself and fulfill your promise (now this is so difficult), as you would find your purpose in life. This is the tragedy of this generation...the lack of vision and purpose. Let's not get too deep on this.

3.) I isolate his fear and guilt. This is where I can relate to best. And no, this is something more than women and crushes. I fear loss of life. I fear heights. I fear gooey stuff. I fear failure. This is so because I let fear be my precedent, consequence of that--- I lose on a lot of things and then I feel guilty and lost at times. I always take the blame for doomed relationships (if any). I take the heat and pretend to love it. I fear shame, and the reality of defeat. Do this to me and you might find how bitter I can get. My immaturity is haunting and disturbing. I am a Bruce Wayne from the outside. Oh Paolo looks like a nerd, oh he looks rich, oh he's smart, oh he has things going his way. Forgive me, but none of those are my measures for success. When I go to my cave and reflect...when I pray...there is when the Batman takes over. No, this is not the beast criminals fear but the element of reason in every man. That is why Rorty does not appeal to me...or any relativist postmodern rubbish (sorry, am terribly biased). What knowledge does man have compared to God's? Yes, I believe in God and I assume His existence as the force behind this universal order. If not, then meaning to life is less. I take pride in that. When Batman takes over he finds higher order...he finds a bit of heaven. He is able to face his fears and live his dreams...naks. I don't need another Paolo to do this. In my silence, I am able to focus. So do all of us.

4.) And lastly that I find most relevant to me is Batman's mysterious self. You can't pretend to know me for I am as volatile and unpredictable as hydrochloric acid which you may think is stable. Sadly, this is how some of my girl-friends think and some of my peepz as well. They think my hand of friendship means a hand of attraction or a hand seeking their commitment. I am an O.C. friend, too protective at times. But if I don't care that much, I feel that I fail that friend. Most of the time, I fall into the trap of vulnerability. Let's not get into how I blew up a chance with a woman. Let's not discuss how I got 5 in math 17. Let's not talk about my faltering. I'd rather be happy and positive about it. Batman would not as well. He lets his identity hidden from his enemies but known to his beloved (and I think there is a handful of them). He lets action do the talking. I want my friends to know me better...but there is this barrier which I think makes me appear corny, serious, or too deep (whoa?) to them. I'm dead shallow. Perhaps if I let my actions do the talking, then and there could I be more of a revelation than someone in the crowd. Yes, thank God for my battalions of peepz...they make me realize how blessed a man could be.

There is this friend of mine, who I hope is still a friend...we don't talk much nowadays...she's too busy I guess who told me days back while I was in another text brigade of sorts..."Corny mo sobra. Kung hindi man ako magreply, ibig sabihin hindi ko gusto yung conversation......minsan kasi I find it a little senseless. But don’t worry, it doesn’t mean that I find you nonsense...don’t worry, we are (still) friends."

Dnt worry, di ko cya inaway...milya ang layo namin e...as in milya. Mau keep it.

Now this is what Batman needs...much as I do (although andami na)...a friend to keep him in check...someone to say in his face that you need to be more than what you play to be and then reassures you in the end that he or she would support you as a friend. Someone who would expose your weakness in your face so that you are humbled or at least you go for change...and then pat you in the back and in silence, give some needed boost.

This is my fallback...my family, friends, work, church, the vision of a world. When heroes or ordinary men get down...they have their fallbacks. You don't need high-tech machines...I have my Mau my Grai my jaja my Celine my Rania my Farrah my Marian....too many to mention to look up to. Ala pa mga guys dun...cla Dom...cla James...cla blank at blank.

I have a notion of a God. That is another reason.

Batman is not a caped crusader...most crusaders had capes that meant nothing. He is more of a dark knight...someone we could learn from and perhaps thank God that we are not like. And yet he is so up there…he’s a mystery…but if he were really alive…I think Batman would be a fun person. He is a dark knight...I am the green and black chancellor...whow that's feeding your ego...hahaha! I need not explain.

See the movie...all movies have their own lessons....even Jackass I guess.

God speed fellow heroes!

1 Comments:

Blogger malchus_ear said...

I like your post! Add to that is the fact that my bestfriend's fave character is Batman. Hmm..maybe I should watch this movie with my best friend. Yung ate ko, naloka na naman sa haba ng post mo. Hehe!

Visit my blog, I updated it. Continuation ng last post ko. See you around!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home