Sunday, September 24, 2006

Here they come, the beautiful ones

Katsumoto nearing death in the movie The Last Samurai remarked as he looked into the cherry blossoms falling: "Perfect...They are all perfect."

And though everything that was in the past week can not be encapsulated by the claim of a dying hero; such words can still make sense in the burgeoning moments of emotional highs and few times that should matter.

Nothing could be worse than what happened after the successful APSM forum on Conflict and Economic Development. To put simply, one could never have absolute freedom, EVEN within the hallowed grounds of the university. Academic freedom should not be seen as freedom or exemption at the least from the laws and standard operating procedures and practices that govern this country. Lest they are vexing me and the audience for some other point, I see no reason why one go callously fire so many irrelevant questions at the Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces. I could forgive the apparently misinterpretation of my discussion by, of all disciplines, a Sociology professor on the non-functionalism of society. If I may say, she was putting words in my mind and making clear the points I raised. So thank you.

What I could not forgive was what they did to the AFP general. Sure, UP is a forum, a melting pot of ideas. Yet elements within the university, disguising themselves, perhaps the cure of Philippine society and the way to go are destroying the hallowdness of free discourse by breaking the laws and simply showing utmost disrespect.

I do not mean all. I mean those unidentified students and several students inside the CM Recto. Irreconcilable that they argue the oppression, if true, against them be put to stop if they themselves fight fire with fire. And in fairness to Gen. Esperon, he had every bit of what can be exacted to an appropriate answer to every inquiry of our USC Chairperson. The man was being gentleman. His troops, our troops, were calm and restrained as some members of the body were implicitly lashing at the institution and the order of things. Perhaps it is worth saying. But in a world of order and decency (to however you want to define it), the manner of conducting yourself matters a lot in how you are perceived and dealt with.

Even in liberal Europe and US, people who attack governments in such disrespectful manner and approach as throwing eggs at a military convoy are those who consider themselves as activists. If this is activist, if this is decorum, then I don't see why not activists are oftentimes associated with destabilizers and even terrorists. The latter claim again coming from the fact (again, define it however you want to as a pragmatist would) that purging within the leftist ranks is widespread. Heck, those who reject the dogma of one Jose Ma. Sison are on the hitlist. Now, if that isn't paramilitary action to you, I do not know what is. Simply put, do not argue that you are being stabbed in the front whilst your left hand has a knife and the right has a gun hidden at your back. Don't come to forums with the arrogance of cleaning hands unless you can say you are completely sinless.

Let the one who hath not sinned cast the first stone...

Respect. Restraint. Responsibility. Freedom comes for a price.

Other speakers well really into the debate, specially Dr. Alburo and Mam. Ferrer. I and fellow reactor, Ms. Mara Baviera felt that we really did not belong to such panel of esteemed personalities.

On to the matter that made me state Katsumoto's inspiring words. Everyone was beautiful and at their best yesterday during the graduation picture photo shoot. And though I did not feel the aura of finishing, I did feel teary-eyed inside seeing how we have progressed into well-rounded and decent men and women. If this be the hope of the country, all things being equal, I bet my bottom dollar that positive change can be so imminent. We were just high school graduates searching for a life back then. Now, we carry ourselves with pride and reason backed up by hope. Such manifests in the face of one. My indicators? Radiance beaming from head to toe. Body language that is refined and scheduled. Change from one haggard-looking student to one of grace ready to make men turn their heads 360 to the point of breaking. As for me, all I had to do was look around or look straight. Hehe, Gaius Julius Ceasar was right when he said that I came, I saw and I conquered. I was myself, though conscious at times of people and events. Homework did not exist. Issues did not exist. Sir Reb was also right, there is a time warp in here. And it warped from 2pm to 2am. I was so happy not really that I was looking so unlike me, but that everyone else was also at their best.

I need not name names. They themselves knew who were the standouts.

And may I remark that I won't be eating at Shakeys for some time. Lunch and dinner there were just too much a fill.

I told Celine that chewing your food to the last crumb really gives you the feeling that you are stuffed and that I realized or rediscovered that just then. In my world of fast food, everything is like swallowing hard and getting out of that seat soonest. Dinner was great. Outside issues on the forum and 199 woes and praises, I (came in late), Grai (rebounding and ever perky), Celine (really looked exquisite more than different), Farrah (she was oftentimes regarded by these words: "Ang ganda niya."), Louie (simple but Harry Potterish), Ann (we did the alternating wave move), Mau (gave me too much credit to me and my abilities but thanks a lot nonetheless =)), Jaja (whom I will treat this Thursday) and Badette (real great effort of waiting for all of us to finish) (oh yeah Erika Mayoni who is now more into love caught up) were in a good mood of sorts. And I mean of sorts.

The Council and friends were a blast. With so many costumes, our theme had to be: DIVERSITY!!!

My "date" with my Atenean child pal was great. Yes indeed. Memories, catching up, and a bit of teasing here and there. I gave her comforting advice on how to deal with relationships as I knew she was a real prize for having beauty, brains, character and a bit frank to her, wealth hahaha. She helped me out with mine. And though I told her I do not think of such things until God's time, she told me to expect the unexpected. I told her that I have been and will be. Put short, it was all good. We won't be seeing each other for some time, and with our schedules, SMS messaging won't be a frequent chore as well.

It's all good.

All that given, everything is beautiful. And if that could be close to what is perfect. I say, I'd settle for the ideal.

2 Comments:

Blogger green and black chancellor said...

i will try thanks maj

5:36 PM  
Blogger hopelessly romantically rightist said...

hmn... true, true, it is very wrong to have done that when obviously they were the ones caught unprepared. you can't expect the chief of staff to be a no-brainer! and a up graduate at that! it is very much evident that gen. esperon defended his predicate and he didn't. he must blame himself and not go on hurling things...
i really dont expect you to eat there again anyways, the price of fastfood is not that affordable aight? hehe
and yes it is very true, radiance shows after three years of hardwork... such beauty... hehe

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home