Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Crosswind Reflections

On an Isuzu Crosswind, homebound...aircon is blowing my hair to but thick mop strands...a UP student sitting beside me holding her Oblation Newspaper copy, staring outside into the darkening horizon as if waiting for someone to speak to her or at least remind her that summer is fun and not for the lonely...right across a mother or perhaps an aunt (suits her age), goodness even a grandmother holding her adorable little boy as the helper sits near the backdoor. The vehicle seems new, the aircon is not Nissan-worthy, but cool nevertheless. Of all things to complete this oblivious ride home, you hear novelty songs playing on the background. "I-shoot mo, i-shoot mo na ang ball!" That basketball song just kept on playing over and over my head to the point that I wore one of my funnier grins---the grin intended to tease Jason, Neil, Grai or Marian or anyone I feel like about talking love to. But the night is young, and I am old...oh what the heck. I think to myself, oh dear...what an ordinary night ride...

45 minutes from UP to your house is something of a blessing really, not all studes get the convenience of getting home everyday for warm supper and a good night's rest in your own room with your radio turned up so loud. Sometimes it could be a distraction. But after much of cost-benefit analysis, I thank God for there is no place like home indeed. Why did I even bother to use CBA? Hmmm, that would have been one of the easiest questions in history. Silly me.

I stare with a blank face wearing that old smile as I reach for my phone and see that no new activity has disturbed it. I was the one disturbed actually. Seeing nothing on my cellphone screen was something new. It didn't really cause me to panic, but it did make me worry. This phenomenon all the more affirmed my belief that this ride would go down as one of the most typical rides in my commuting life.

I look at the front, straight into the lcd display of the radio. The graphic equalizer bars kept going up and down. People in front were even more typical, nibbling their nails, PDA, texting over and over, while another kept looking through the other side's window. Some sort of head exercise perhaps. Those novelty songs kept on banging in my head, far worse than a Metallica or say the Story of the Year. Then the Chocolate song as we were heading near our destination---the Robinson's Metro East, Pasig, which I think should still be in the Cainta-Marikina area.

Not less than a kilometer to go, I start waking myself up and saying that this could not be happening. I had a lively 160, that followed two long exams, one (span) I am doomed to fail, the other (geog) I am destined to pass and perhaps go a bit further...haha thank God. But this, this ride is stealing the show. It is slowly becoming the precedent that would destroy my day...no, pulverize it! I had to end this. For a person so used to conversations and happy greetings with strangers, this is no icing for the cake...this is the tomato that rot in a basket of fresh ones.

So, I decide to think. Men sometimes go too far and end up with the simplest of things---if they only could think hard and concentrate. Preoccupation is an occupation, so when thinking, lay it to rest with studying, other occupations. I have Psychology exams tomorrow...gee whiz...I feel so drained up I think I would cram for that 3 am tomorrow. No, that's not worth thinking.

I shall use the past tense hereforth...blerkz

I thought of that engine block in 160--those pistons, those light bulbs. Then for some reason, I tried to think of all the people who wore black this day. I wore black, my favorite fashion color-you can't go wrong with it. Then I thought of Grace Xavier Escosia and her never-ending mood swings. Tell me Grai, is that shifting thing a product of another mood swing? I told her hours back that Psych had too many beautiful people, and Mass Comm had too many noisy and overly-perky people. Not that Pol Sci had no beautiful people...I mean hello...how about blank and blank...and yes, Ms. Grief from my earlier blog? It's just that Pol Sci beauties tend to be more silent about it. I actually like that. Alas, let us not stereotype and insult the great people of Psych. And yes Ms. Grief you are still on my mind...uhu

I smiled anew as I thought of Batch 07, somehow my memory accessed it easier.

I thought of Neil's thoughtfulness, I thought of Jason's openness to matters of this and that, I thought of Mayette squeezing my cheek back in 160, I thought of Mau who I now know is a smoker, I thought of Fara, who was wearing black and was still Farrah---need I say more?, I thought of Celine, and her drifting and initmidating looks, I thought of Ferdie, dude that presentation was something...natural ka talaga, I thought of Rania and her uhu look that would become that of objection once a fallacious argument was raised, of Victor's silence, of Heidi's liveliness, of Isha's report, of the entire class' brilliance and mirth... I thought of individuals in their individuality, of how they contribute to this batch of happy Pol Sci people. Soon enough, I trust that these people would conquer the world. Hopefully, I could still see myself there.

And Ms. Grief...I pray that you or someone of God's bidding be beside me in that future.

I was thinking again, and I couldn't stop thinking so creatively until the break was hit and I was restored to my senses.

I cut this imaginative narration for my short-term memory could only go so far. I was right in front of the mall...all the lights faded and I was back to earth...so I gasped and got out of that Crosswind.

And all the lights lit up again...my ever loving parents had texted me to fetch some things at the grocery. I stood in front of that big building where people converged to face reality...there I stood with all my thoughts and dreams...and those happy inputs I welcomed and entertained. A shiver ran down my spine...I'm back home...and I will take these beloved friends of mine here in one form or the other. Thank God for the human brain.

Adios!

This Holy Week, may we reflect and be creative but substantial about us and where we stand in God's eyes. Hopefully, may we be able to put our thoughts into action. God bless us in this effort. =)

2 Comments:

Blogger grai said...

hehe..pao, i do it all the time..without really intending to do so..paxncia na..i just have a lot of things on my mind so i hide behind my smile kaya when someone reminds me of this certain thing i'm thinking of..mejo lumalabas talaga how i feel..hehe..ayos ung post mo..astig mo rin kaya! natural kayo ni ferdie..and yes, his report was something talaga..na "wow!" ako..haha..and btw, mas thoughtful ako kay nyl!! hehe..n-mana lang nya sa akin un..ang about Ms. Grief..sayang..di xa makakasama..may plans na kasi ata xa..okay lang un..ibuhos mo na lang sa outing natin..oi! pumunta ka sa blog ko ah..ge..

1:21 AM  
Blogger ayoj said...

hi pao! ^^

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home